Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Finnley's First Birthday in ONEderland

This past weekend we celebrated Finnley's First Birthday!  I went with an Alice in ONEderland theme and it was so cute.  I got lots of inspiration from my Pinterest board (and let me tell you there are lots of ideas on this theme) but ultimately had to do my own thing.



Let's start off with some of the pre-party shenanigans.  I worked some chalkboard art on our pantry doors and this has become my favorite way to celebrate!  Thankfully our girls were willing to take naps the day of the party so we could finish up last minute details (and get ourselves ready....I always leave that to the last 10 minutes).  The birthday girl woke up about 30 minutes before the party - she takes a while to warm up after a wake up and was a good sport about getting dressed.  It was so fun having a themed party and we all got into it.  I dressed as the Cheshire Cat, Thomas was the Mad Hatter, and Ellie went as a Pansy!  We took advantage of the calm before the storm and took some photos.

But first her invitations.  I ordered them off of ETSY and printed them at home.  There were so many options but I loved these the best.  Here is where I got them from.






my ears, tail and socks


Thomas hat





Finnley's dress (similar)


Ellie loves to take pictures with our phones and I love how she captured me and Finnley (laughing emoji)


she actually did a pretty decent job of the three of us...my bad for sitting right in front of the window...


Me and my girls


Our family of Four!!!




The girls got started on eating before anyone arrived and I love that Finnley is sneaking some of Ellie's chips ;)


Now on to the party details:

I used the banner I made for Ellie's first birthday and then got some balloons to frame either side.  I was hoping it would act as some sort of photo background but also a great spot for Finnley to have her cake!


Alice balloon, flamingo

I loved taking Finnley's weekly photos and since I knew what I was going to do with them for her party I am so glad that I was mindful of how I set them up each week.  I made a giant 1 from Ellie's first year photos that I knew I wanted to do it again.  Finnley's was a much more cohesive look and I can't get over how well it turned out.  Many of our guests loved checking it out and picking their favorite weeks, I'm tied between weeks 20 and 45 (strangely enough she is wearing the same headband...)


Thomas caught my creative bug and not only made the signs for the presents and guest book but also the sign for the front door!!



I grabbed a copy of the Golden Book's Alice in Wonderland and had the idea for people to sign it as a sort of guest book for Finnley.  *notice Finnley's cute little hand in the picture.


I made Finnley's cake, it's our traditional Strawberry birthday cake and it finally turned out right after a bit of tweaking the recipe the past 2 years.  I wanted to try and go for a naked cake and I think I did a decent job.


We actually saved the 1 candle from Ellie's birthday so I loved that we got to reuse it.  To make sure that the cake was on theme I used some Alice figurines to decorate the cake, along with some left over mushrooms from Ellie's second birthday.


Alice figurines, cake stand (similar)

I got some foam core poster boards and turned them into Ace's, I was contemplating doing some other numbers but since Finnley is only 1 I kept with the aces theme.  I think they were such a fun addition to the decor and really weren't that difficult or expensive to make.


I tried to keep the table pretty simple and love the tablecloth I found for the party.  I used some more Alice figurines to decorate, along with a stuffed Cheshire Cat, and pansies as the centerpiece.  I got the cutest little cookie display cloches that were just perfect for the party, along with some cute little drinking vials, and adorable tea cup lollipops.


Cheshire Cat, cookie cloches, drinking vials, Alice figurines, plates, napkins, lollipops

On the menu:
Assorted Sandwiches from a local grocery store
Rice Crispy Treats
Chessmen Cookies
Chips and Salsa
Hummus and Veggies
Macaron's from our local farmers market
Cheddar Bunnies
Strawberry Cake
Assorted Wine
Assorted Beer



and how about my new stools?  I

Finnley is a shy girl and gets a bit overwhelmed when there is a lot going on.  She spent most of the party being held by someone in her tribe (mainly me) but as the party went on she got more comfortable and was quite into the present opening part ;)




The cake was delicious but I think this girl had more fun smashing it around than actually eating it!






My brother and his twin boys came down for the party.  They are only about 5 months older than Finnley and she is already taller than both of them!! Once she starts walking I don't think you'll be able to tell an age difference ;)


And this is basically how Ellie feels about babies, especially her sister!! Girlfriend is totes in her element.


And when you have great friends who dress up for your party!  When there is more than one Mad Hatter you have to vote for who wore it best!


.

♥ Ashley

.

1 comment:

  1. This is absolutely adorable! I love Alice in Wonderland and I think it is so sweet how you all dressed up. I wish I could go back and redo my daughter's first birthday so we could totally steal this theme!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! They make my day! Make sure that your email is linked to your profile so I can email you back!

♥ Ashley